Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Choosing durians.

As a young person ;) I am inexperienced in choosing durians. How many of you are good at selecting durians? To me, buying durians is job which belongs to old people :)

There too many types of durian on the market, some which come with specific codes and special names, some are crossbreeds... I really have no idea which is the best! And I never bother taking note of their names!

But I luv eating durians! Of late, I have only been buying the peeled ones, which are sold in ready-to-eat styrofoam containers... When I was a kid, dad has his own durian orchard, and his kids just know to eat them! ;)

He has never bought any! Sometimes, he would get huge basketful of free durians from his friends. As far as I could remember, I had only bought unpeeled durians once; about 2 years ago... And last weekend, while heading to Muar, Aiman and Afif asked me to buy some for them.

Image hosting by Imageshack.us

Once at the stall-shop, I asked the uncle (the seller), which type is the most expensive he had on sale there? He showed me the long type and told me that it was a D24 (a crossbreed fruit) and the price was RM8 per Kg... while the rest were durian kampung, he said.

The uncle sounded sincere, since I understand a bit of Hokkien. I heard him telling his wife to get the best ones for me... so I asked him about the easiest way to choose durians...

He taught me one of the easier ways. Just use your nails! Put four of your fingers on the durian, run the surface of your nails from the top of the fruit to its bottom. If you hear a hollow sound, as if there is empty space within, then that's a sign that the fruit is good! But if it sounds muffled, it's a sign that the fruit isn't ripe yet!

Image hosting by Imageshack.us

And it proved to be correct! All the durians I bought from him were in superb condition! Thank you uncle, for that special tip!

And just when we thought we have had enough durians, Aiman and Afif's dad came back from JB on that night with a big basket of the same fruit, which he had picked up in Tangkak...*merasa makan tak hingat

13 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hmm sama lah, tak reti gak beli durian..

good tip to know though :D

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger wahdi said...

Kan,org2 muda mmg reti makan durian je ;)

Btw, that uncle was so good!
tapi mintak bargain dia kedekut :D

 
At 2:47 AM, Blogger :: NbC :: said...

pergh Wahdi, ni baper kali wwwww ni..? typo ke saja nak buat trademark..?

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger kasih said...

x reti mkn durian..tp klu tempoyak..masak lomak cili api..hmm...terangkattt!!!

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alamak... hijau sangatlah Pak Ngah! Ni macam kempen undi parti politik tertentu saja.. :)

Bila nampak durian ni, terus kemaruk nak makan. Oh, how I wish that durians can grow in temperate climate!

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger anne said...

bila rindu durian, i have a durian donut at big apple:-) sedih tak???

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger wahdi said...

Hahaha tak perasan yer! memang tersalah typo! *matilah tamak nak banyank w~
Psttt w=wang :)

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger wahdi said...

Kasih, makan pun tak reti?? camna tu? makan= ambik masuk molot :D kikiki
I suka sayur ulam ada tempoyak tu~ esp org alor gajah buat, sedapnya~~~~~~~

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger wahdi said...

Hi Rem, hijau ni tidak mewakili parti politik, tapi sempena musim durian hehehe

Kalau durian tumbuh tempat camtu sure rasanya tak manis ek?

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger wahdi said...

Anne,cianya~~ jom i belanja ;)

Tapi lately leh dpt durian sepanjang tahun ek? esp ada durian thailand tu..

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger artisticklytouch said...

sedapnya durian..

weols wat-wat pandai jer..

 
At 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beli durian kena jalan PPJ macam abang2 askar kah itteeew.

 
At 4:20 AM, Blogger fairuzhafeez said...

stare - green durian - king of fruit - many types - think !

notes : there are many colors : shirt, the red sandal & the red plastic bag : blended well

fact : forget about durian smell - taste it & we'll no regret !

conclusion : just coincedences, may be ... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home