Thursday, April 12, 2007

Mee Siput, Jambu Gelas & Jambu Ball

I bet most of you aren't familiar or have no idea what "Mee Siput" is... When I was a kid growing up in Muar, my favourite snack was the "Mee Siput". It's made from sun-dried yellow noodle. It is then fried and eaten with a "sambal tumis" (sauted chilli) dip, "sambal kicap" (soy-sauce saute) or without any dips. It was so much fun to eat it with "Kopi O" (Americano), on a rainy day! This delicacy is only found in Muar, and it is still very popular now... When I asked my office-mates from Batu Pahat and Malacca, none of them had heard of this snack!

Last weekend, my sister dropped by Muar and got me a big pack of "Mee Siput"... Ahhh... I had longed for it so long... As I got home from the office today, I fried two pieces, and ate them piping hot with some black-pepper sauce. I would much prefer dipping them in sambal kicap, but the tought of pounding chillies was just too much work, while a blender would not have produced the right texture...


Image hosting by Imageshack.us
The raw "Mee Siput"



Image hosting by Imageshack.us




Image hosting by Imageshack.us
This is how they look like fried... I ate one of them plain,

while the other, dipped in black pepper sauce...
They taste so good... hot and crispy.

___________________________________________________________


While eating, I reminisce my growing years. Back then, we had two big guava trees near my grandmother's house, one which we called "Jambu Gelas" and the other, "Jambu Ball". The Jambu Gelas tree had big white fruits, as big as milk glasses (hence the name!). They could get bigger, though, and a bit sourish. The Jambu Ball on the other hand, had fruits as big as a tennis ball, red in color just like an apple. They were sweet when fully ripe. My late grandmother used to like eating the sprout of the Jambu Gelas dipped in salt. I had tried it before, and it was very nice!

It has been years that I last saw this fruit. Has it gone extinct? The next time I go back to Muar, I must try to look for them! So, as I ate the Mee Siput, I managed to paint the picture of a Jambu Gelas and Jambu Ball. I must say I only had my memory to rely on... It isn't done yet, but I will upload it here when it's completely finished. Does anyone know about these fruits, especially their real names?


Image hosting by Imageshack.us




Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:34 AM, Blogger NBK466 said...

Dah siap lum lukisan ko ni jang? Den tak dapat nam cam lah buah apo nie...cam buah cempedak diluar pagar pun ado..he.he.he..

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger wahdi said...

Heheh, lum siap lagi~~
haaa... buah ni kat Muar aje kot yg ado?? sedap buah nih~~
*mcm ngidam plak den

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Blessings to you and thanks for your visits and sweet words.
Be well my friend.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger wahdi said...

Hi Jeanne thanks a lot!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger azlan said...

En Wahdi, perkataan "jambu gelas" dan "jambu ball" tu kan dalam bahasa jawa. :)

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

jambu gelas = jambu susu, jambu ball = jambu bol

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mee siput cecah ngan sambal tumis.. mmg sodapppp.. MUARian's favourite snack ..hehehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home